Pages

Monday, April 6, 2009

Whining Mothers on Oprah

Not sure if anyone seen today's Oprah, but it was all about Mothers and Motherhood. I don't usually watch Oprah, but I knew this was the topic since Heather Armstrong of Dooce.com fame was a guest and my husband's company runs her advertising, so I tuned in. And it also just so happened that I was home on a Monday at 4pm with my husband since we're waiting to leave for our flight.

From the first segment I was completely turned off. The mothers they profiled started whining about how hard it is and how motherhood is so tough and overwhelming. I immediately knew this was going to be an hour of boo-hooing. And it was.

I know motherhood can be hard. Of course it can. But is it really that tough? I know I have a pretty mellow child. So maybe I'm not experiencing the hardships other mothers face. But suck it up. And these women who say they don't shower or that they give pizza to their children for breakfast? I don't get it. Put your child in an exersaucer and take a shower. Even toast and jam is better than pizza.

Another thing both Sacha and I noticed...they never once mentioned the fathers during the show. Where are the dads? These women kept mentioning how alone they are, but I believe most of them are married. I know I wouldn't be able to do it without Sacha's help. We take turns, we each give each other some down time away from the child. Is it that most of these women don't have contributing husbands?

I'm just venting, but if it's hard for you, just try to find ways to make it easier and have a glass of Zinfandel. And don't whine about it on Oprah.

No comments: